MPLS is a scalable, protocol-independent transport. In an MPLS network, data packets are assigned labels.
MPLS operates at a layer that is generally considered to lie between traditional definitions of layer 2 (data link layer) and layer 3 (network layer), and thus is often referred to as a “layer 2.5” protocol. It was designed to provide a unified data-carrying service for both circuit-based clients and packet-switching clients which provide a datagram service model. It can be used to carry many different kinds of traffic.
MPLS/IP VPN Benefits
- Connection to the Internet is dedicated, not shared with other businesses.
- Backed by industry-leading service level agreements that provide the best service availability.
- Grow and expand your business. Any-to-any connectivity to add new locations and remote access options.
- Scalability and Flexibility. Support high-growth periods with high-speed bandwidth options and prioritize network traffic with up to six class of service (CoS) / quality of service (QoS) Levels.
- Maximize service efficiency. Leverage your existing routers, applications and technologies.
- Global connectivity. Expansive availability in markets across North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- Multi-service ports. Multiple services (e.g. Voice, Internet, VPLS, EVPL) supported on a single VPN port and access circuit to reduce costs and provide flexible bandwidth allocations across services.
- Advanced MPLS/IP VPN capabilities. IPv6, Multicast, multiple VPNs on a single port provide easy implementation and administration.
End-to-End Service Level Guarantees. Key performance metrics include latency, data delivery, utilization and jitter.
- Bundle with Managed Network and Security Services. To improve overall cost and operational efficiencies.